Monday, May 07, 2007

ASO SAN (Mt Aso)




These pictures were taken while we were on our trip south. Aso san is about 50 km from Kumamoto city. We stopped here on our way back to the ferry that brought us back to Yokosuka. The weather was great but Aso received 25 cm of snow 2 days prior to our visit. Andrew thought it was great. He also thought that Aso was "stinky". We took a cable car up most of the way but did have to hike a good bit (a rather steep bit) to get to the overlook.

This from an online resource.......... Mt. Aso, which lies almost in the center of the island of Kyushu, is an active composite volcano. The crater, which measures 18 kilometers (11 miles) from east to west and 24 kilometers (15 miles) from north to south, is not only the world's largest caldera; it is also said to be the most beautiful.

Lisa...I've tried to post a comment to your blog and wasn't able to. And I've not done any knitting in about 2 weeks. I've been sticking mostly to socks and baby hats these days. Small projects with patterns I know by heart. That way when I have interrupted knitting (I forget what it's like to knit uninterrupted) I can find my place easily. Also small projects allow for instant gratification.

Karen (and MA girl Lisa also)....Now that we have Clemons watch out....1st place here we come! :)

Tanya...I want to see pix of your MD purchases!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All the photos are so beautiful! Of course, I'm biased about the subjects, but the mountains are very picturesque, as well! :) I feel like I've been on a mini-travelogue - very enjoyable.

As for Clemens, and your struggling Yankees....once again, they try to BUY their way out of trouble. You are going to need a LOT more than that! haha! Go Sox!!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is showing a fairly significant amount of ATHLETICISM UP hills: on foot, on bikes. Must be Jeff's influence.... :-) I'll bet his secret plan is for all four of you to be doing triathlons. Begin with Mountain Climbing. AND biking up the Ikego Hill.

So sorry I missed your call tonight...I was at Ian's Cello Concert....WITH Lars and Eliza. We made it through half - which I thought was pretty good, considering the time of day.

Teacher Appreciation week here - must go back to my assembly line for FIVE teachers; they come out of the WOODWORK once the Appreciation Week rolls around. ha ha! They are all getting flaxsees crackers and shortbread tomorrow. :-) Packaged a la "Martha" naturally...
love.t.