Sunday, May 06, 2007

National Children's Day aka Boy's Day


May 5th is Children's day in Japan. Until recent years it was known as "Boy's Day". Tradition was to fly a carp flag for each male in the household. Now I think you fly a carp for each member of the household. I've noticed that most Japanese people on Kyushu (where the boys are from) still do it the old fashioned way (just boys). This beautiful flag set was "blackcatted" (Japanese UPS) from Andrew's baba(birth grandmother). And seeing how she's older and from Kyushu she sent a traditional set....one for each of my boys. We are the talk of the neighborhood. Most of my neighbors have out a little set(pole and carp are about 12 inches long). This set is huge. The largest flag is 2 meters long and the pole extends like 10 feet. Flying this thing the past week has made me feel like one of the "natives".


Tanya the "mystery" green knitted "item" from the last post is this beautiful handmade baby blanket (the picture doesn't do it justice) from Jenny A. She bought the yarn (don't ask I've forgotten)at Yuzawya. And thought it would be perfect for Ethan. She basically followed the dishcloth pattern until it was as wide as she wanted and then she decreased one side while increasing the other until it was the right length. Then she decreased both until the end. It is just perfect and we take it everywhere.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just loved the photo of "boy's day" and your flags are just beautiful! So precious that "Baba" is able to be involved in their lives. I just loved the whole story!

Anonymous said...

Hey you Natives.... :-) I am over the MOON about the uber-cool koi flags at your house, and I LOVE the fact that they have the traditional ones. Good for Baba. :-) Also very impressive on Jenny's blanket!!! Thank you for giving the back-story on that....
I went to Annapolis this weekend for the first time, and I loved it, (was there for Scott Herbener's Retirement) -- thought of you and Jeff. Sure is pretty! I went up the Eastern Shore - and thought of you more. And I went by MYSELF. :-) Blissful two days of relative peace and quiet. REturned to absolute status quo: "Mom, Ian hit me at least 38 times...." "No, Mom...Lars is lying...he was calling me names..." Aaaahhhh....the break was nice while it lasted. love.t.
PS: the above exchange is without doubt entirely limited to my family alone, and I feel quite certain that in no case will there EVER be a time in your household with two boys uttering sentences even remotely close to variation on "brotherly love" displayed by my sons...... :-)
PPS: Of COURSE, stopped in at Maryland Sheep and Wool on my way out of Annapolis. No icon available to express the smile large enough.....it was great fun, and I wish so much you had been there, too!

Lisa C..Knitter Navy Wife said...

The carp flags are wonderful. The neighbors in USA will think they are strange windsocks! I love that Tanya picks out the mstery green item that I completely missed! So are you knitting at all these days or have 2 boys created a semipermanent set of UFOs?!?!?